EDIT: Updated 31st January 2017 – The Collected Works of Edgar Allen Poe added, link to review of How to Look for a Lost Dog.
…As for the subject of this post; yes, it is the dreaded ‘To Read’ pile that, for those like me who enjoy a good book, seems to grow ever bigger due to the heavy demands and committments of our everyday lives. It became a bit of a problem for me last year, as I was constantly buying books from second-hand bookshops/charity shops, thinking ‘I’ll get to all these someday’, only to find I had so many building up in my room, still unread. It was at that point I literally sorted them into a ‘To Read’ pile, and began, you know, actually reading the blasted things, further vowing to not buy anymore until I had finished them. I’ll admit I make the occassional exception – if there is a new Margaret Atwood coming out I will either buy it or ask for it as a gift, for example – but I’ve generally managed to keep to this pretty well. So, in order to keep an actual list for myself, here are all of the books that have amassed in the pile, with links to their Goodreads pages (I will give my account on there some attention as I work through all of these as well!). Click to read on…
NB: Books in red are ones I have just completed, while any books highlighted in black are ones I am currently reading.
KINDLE reads (none currently)
Every Day (David Levithan) and Another Day (David Levithan) Paper Towns (John Green) Ready Player One (Ernest Cline)
And the actual, real-life physical books currently cluttering up my bedroom (in no particular order):
- The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft: Ongoing, will be reading while I work through the other books on the list!
- The Collected Works of Edgar Allen Poe: A present from my lovely partner (he also got me the Complete Works of Lovecraft for a previous Christmas – he certainly knows what I like! I’ve read a few of his works but there are many I haven’t had the chance to and have always wanted to, so I’m really looking forward to working my way through this 🙂
- Saint Odd (Dean Koontz) -The last in the ‘Odd Thomas’ series.
- Good Bones (Margaret Atwood)
- Profiles of the Future (Arthur C. Clarke)
- Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck) – Picked up simply because I realised it’s one of those famous and renowned books I haven’t actually read!
How to Look for a Lost Dog (Ann M. Martin) Hag-Seed (Margaret Atwood) Odd Hours (Dean Koontz)
Odd Apocalypse (Dean Koontz) Deeply Odd (Dean Koontz) The Heart Goes Last (Margaret Atwood): From Baghdad with Love (Lt. Colonel Jay Kopelman) The Darkening (Chandler McGrew) The Poe Shadow (Matthew Pearl) Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad) Expedition to Earth (Arthur C. Clarke) Frankenstein Unbound (Brian Aldiss:
REVIEWS OF COMPLETED BOOKS:
- Quick Book Reviews: The Darkening / Heart of Darkness
- Quick Book Review: From Baghdad, with Love
- Quick Book Reviews: Odd Hours/Odd Apocalypse/Deeply Odd
- Quick Book Review: Hag-Seed
- Quick Book Review: How to Look for a Lost Dog
Check out my debut poetry collection, ‘The Awakening’, avaliable NOW!