So I’m currently attempting to put a writing/’feel-good’ playlist together, i.e. songs that always lift my mood and get my creative juices flowing. Does anyone else have to have some sort of soundtrack while writing? Would be interesting to know what my fellow creatives listen to 🙂
So here’s the first selection, with a few short words on each track.
(Currently these are in chronological order of release, but I may mess with the order a bit in future!)
- Livin’ on a Prayer – Bon Jovi – I can’t not sing/roar along every time I hear this. (and yeah, Gina, sometimes I dream of running away too, I feel ya girl)
- I Am the Resurrection – The Stone Roses – The lyrics are so deliciously venomous in this one – ‘You’re a no-one nowhere washed-up baby who’d look better dead’ is particularly satisfying. I consider this song what I’d wish to say to a particularly toxic person from my past, if I ever saw them again. (instrumental at the end is nice too)
- Sit Down – James – A good kick-up the rear song for when you’re feeling down; and used masterfully in a recent Game of Thrones Season 7 promo.
- Keep the Faith – Bon Jovi – Yeah, him again…part of the soundtrack of many a childhood car ride, and a rocking, reassurring mantra to follow in my adulthood.
- Lifted – Lighthouse Family – Relaxing and uplifting, one of the ultimate feel-good songs.
- So Young – The Corrs – Chasin’ the moon, just running wild and free – a good philosophy to live by if you ask me.
- Just Looking – Stereophonics – This seems to resonate more with me now as a sometimes aimless, often overly-cautious adult…
- Driftwood – Travis – For similar reasons as #7, I suppose. Drifting under bridges, never with the flow, indeed…
- Yellow – Coldplay -During their glory days, they don’t quite capture lightning like this these days, sadly…
- Buck Rogers – Feeder – I’m instantly a teenager in 2001 again when I hear this. I must admit, I thought it was ‘Drink cider from eleven‘ for the longest time (it’s actually ‘from a lemon’ – I guess the idea of drinking from 11am onwards seemed perfectly rational to me…)
That’s it for Vol. 1! Stay tuned for Vol. 2 to come very soon…
Check out my debut poetry collection, ‘The Awakening’, avaliable NOW!